nothing in this blog is true. . .but it's exactly how things are

which basically means that names, dates, locations, conditions, and everything else that might possibly lead to the discovery of someone's identity have been changed to protect the innocent, guilty, and terminally stupid.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

sometimes, dreams come true


three months ago, MixMan was telling me about his dreams, which he likes to do. Usually, they involve a great deal of running and shooting and 'splosions and magic power jewels and all things Sonic the Hedgehog. But this particular time, he looked at me and said, "Mama, in my dreams, I can hear, and I don't have to sign."

the next day, I started gathering up referrals and getting everything in order to determine his eligibility for a cochlear implant.

so on Tuesday, we went up to Big City Hospital. Before we were even out of town, MixMan's daddy started complaining about my car and my music and my driving. He said I drive like a grandma.

whatever.

Anyway, I told him to shut up or he could walk. He shut up.

Once we got up there, MixMan went through a battery of audiological tests. He stayed focused and worked so hard, and it turns out that his hearing loss is in the profound range (which I knew, but he's so sneaky and smart and hated the hearing tests so much that we never could confirm it). In any case, he's definitely eligible for the cochlear implant, and we spoke with the surgeon, and picked out the model that we like, and we'll be scheduling the surgery for some time this summer. The audiologists and the surgeon are all very very hopeful and optimistic about MixMan's potential with this-- he's had such dedicated speech therapy since he was 10 months old that in addition to being able to hear normally at 20db with the ci (instead of the 50db he hears at a whisper with hearing aids, and to put that in context, a normal conversation takes place at 35-40db- which means MixMan is very good at lip reading), his voice tone will also most likely improve. They did say that because of the profound hearing loss, he is eligible for bilateral implants, but most people we've spoken with recommend unilateral with the hearing aid in the other ear, at least for a while. The ci also comes with little attachments for an ipod or mp3 player, so MixMan can listen to music instead of just the thump of the bass.

MixMan is so excited. and so am I.

3 comments:

RevMedic said...

Wonderful news! I'm happy for all of you. If there's anything I can do, you know you can call...

Male Nurse said...

That story made my eyes a little, shall we say, wetter. Ok, it doesn't exactly sound right, but I think we all get the point.

That is wonderful news! Really got me in the heart! It's nice that good things still happen in this world, to people who deserve them. Not only to "Mix-a-Mania," but to you as well!

It was good seeing you last night! Everyone in the ED wondered why we left with an empty isolette. 8 pounds does NOT a 28 weeker make! My nurse said, "I think she was off by about 10 weeks!"

kmsw said...

David- that's what happens when a pregnant someone can't remember their LMP and hasn't had any prenatal care. . . the OB goes by fundus height. And sometimes, that's a little. . .off.