nothing in this blog is true. . .but it's exactly how things are

which basically means that names, dates, locations, conditions, and everything else that might possibly lead to the discovery of someone's identity have been changed to protect the innocent, guilty, and terminally stupid.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

got my coccyx spanked by a mountain

Apparently, after 5 months together, I've moved up to the next level of Rock Star. I know a couple of his friends, just because he and I work in the same place, and I've met another one in passing, but this week, the Rock Star invited me on an overnight snowboarding trip. He said he wasn't quite sure who else would be going. So when we got to the meeting place, imagine my surprise when his three best friends walked out of the kitchen. Without their wives/girlfriends/significant others. Dear lord. I looked around for an escape route; the Rock Star was blocking my only exit. He leaned close and said, "just so you know, they're not going to cut you any slack."

I can handle it. Bring it on.

The drive to the mountain was a tad uncomfortable, little ole me packed in a biiiig chevy pickup with four rather manly men. Haven't felt that way since sitting in an engine on the way to a fire, and that's been a while. The testosterone was almost overwhelming. But a couple of nudges and reassuring smiles from the Rock Star, and I settled in. When we got to the resort town of HighFalutin' we dumped our stuff and headed out for "a beer" and some food.

Waking up the next morning hurt a little bit, but once I got my land legs under me, I was fine. Ahem. Really.

We got to the mountain, the Rock Star got me signed up for rentals and a lesson, and then the boys took off. I sat in the cafe and waited for my head to stop throbbing.

The lesson didn't go well. I guess I'm not much of a student, so it's not necessarily the teacher's fault. Just tell me how not to die on a snowboard, and I'll figure out the rest for myself- I don't need a bunch of coddling. And the bunny hill is a crappy place to try and learn. By the end of the lesson, the teacher was frustrated and I was almost in tears.

After a brief pow-wow over nachos and a pitcher, the boys decided it was time for me to have a real lesson. Rock Star asked if I might like to come to the top of the run they'd been doing. Half way up the lift, with the ground very, very far away, I asked how the hell he'd managed to talk me into this. He just smiled, and hugged me, and his best friend said, "you're just as crazy as he is. . .that's why the two of you get along so well. You'll be fine."

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Too bad that was the last run of the day. It is so much easier to learn with four no-BS teachers and room to ride, and I had an absolute blast, even after sliding down the steeper parts on my face. It may be a while before I can sit down comfortably again, however.

Oh, and judging by the hugs and "you have no idea how nice it is to finally meet you"s, I think I passed this level of Rock Star. And that makes me pleased as punch.

No comments: