nothing in this blog is true. . .but it's exactly how things are

which basically means that names, dates, locations, conditions, and everything else that might possibly lead to the discovery of someone's identity have been changed to protect the innocent, guilty, and terminally stupid.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

levaquin dreams

Got called into the director of Human Resources office yesterday to discuss the traveler nurse and his traveling hands. I made the mistake of telling the assistant manager of the ER two weeks ago, and he was actually really cool about it. But then he told the manager, who called me into his office for another meeting. I came away from that one feeling like shit. He kept insisting that I must be suffering some ill effects from the incident. I just stared at him, told him I wasn't sleeping, but I'd get over it if everyone would just leave me alone about it. I work in the ER, for chrissakes. You have to be able to let go of things, or you'll go crazy. He finally threw up his hands and told me to talk to HR, which I put off until yesterday.
We do that more often than we think, at least those of us who are emotionally and mentally healthy. Letting go, I mean. There is a resiliency in the human spirit that we don't think of very often, but I see it almost every day. I watch patients and their families adjust to news they never thought they'd have to face. . .the smart ones, the ones who will make it, take it in stride; they let go of the whole life they had planned and open themselves to whatever it is that's been thrown at them. Sure, there's some shock involved-- "yes, ma'am, you've just been diagnosed with a very large tumor in your liver" takes some getting used to--but you can almost see the shift in their minds as they adjust and move on, and face whatever it is they need to face.
I see it in the dying, too, although resiliency becomes grace at that stage. I know that certain things take on almost mystical properties when my emotional armor gets left at home, when I'm over-tired or under stress, like I have been because of the traveler nurse issue. But we had a code a couple of weeks ago that shook me, and everyone else in the room, in the three hours the patient was there.
I'll call him John. He was 46 years old, found down by his sister and mother. No history of drug use, this guy was clean. Medics almost tubed him but he came around, and was conscious by the time he came into the ER. I sat with him, started his IV, drew his blood, cleaned the vomit from his face and neck, smiled at him, talked to him, reassured him. He looked so scared, and I told him everything was going to be okay. He nodded, and smiled, and I squeezed his hand before I left the room. His mom waited outside the room to hear the prognosis of her only son.
Next time I passed the room, they were pulling out the defibrillation pads, and John was seizing. As I was wrapping my brain around that, one of the nurses in the room screamed for me, the doctor started shouting for an NG tube and suction, and all hell broke loose. John's heart rate was over 200 bpm. We cracked the crash cart and the nurse went to push drugs, and we realized that John had sweated his IV right out. I started another on the left arm, then another on the right. And then his heart stopped.
The doctor ordered CPR started, and one of the nurses began. I shoved him aside and started compressions, screaming for a stool to stand on. Once I could get leverage, I discovered something: the chest of a 46 year old man is much different than the chest of an 80 year old man. And ribs break a lot harder and a lot louder. I could feel them pop with every compression.
We got pulses back, and then a pressure. John's left pupil was blown. We all sighed, and looked at each other, and stepped back from the bedside, shaking. The doc shook his head and ordered for the air ambulance to take John to OHSU in Portland for definitive neuro care. I left the room and headed to start a couple more IVs.
Ten minutes later, he flatlined again. His mother still sat stoically outside the room. Turns out she'd lost one of her two daughters two weeks before; her other daughter, the one who had been closest to John, was racing to the hospital from out of town. John's mom just sat, and waited. We explained what we were doing, the care John was receiving, the fact that his prognosis wasn't good. She nodded, said she'd just wait for her daughter to come.
I did CPR on John two more times before he finally died for good. The doctor called the code twice-- the first time, we had a spontaneous return of pulses before the monitor was turned off. But this is where grace in the dying comes in:
John laid there, tubes in every orifice, vomit in the creases of his neck, bedding soaked with sweat, ribs broken, wires everywhere, brain dead but heart still beating. He waited there, until his sister came, and that was truly one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced-- watching that woman kiss her brother's face, rub his shaved head, tell him how much she loved him, told him he could go. And then he did, and nothing we did could bring him back that third and final time.
By the end of the three hour code, even the doctor was crying. Say what you will, but the human spirit is resilient. And some people who haven't amounted to much in life leave that life with an enormous amount of grace. And I am honored to be part of a leaving that is so graceful, even when I fight so hard against it.

5 comments:

RevMedic said...

Hang in there, kid.

Lisa Sarao said...

Just some *hugs* ...

Anonymous said...

I really admire how you show the feeling you have for your patients, some emt's think it makes them better to be a stone wall, or to forget about it as soon as possible. But the reality is, were human, we feel things, were not machines; and if we try to get away from that reality, we only get burned out in the end.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.