nothing in this blog is true. . .but it's exactly how things are

which basically means that names, dates, locations, conditions, and everything else that might possibly lead to the discovery of someone's identity have been changed to protect the innocent, guilty, and terminally stupid.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

another lesson or two

If you're looking for levity, you probably shouldn't read this post. I've been trying to write this for a week, now, and make it funny or sarcastic or witty. . .but I start it, and everything that comes out sounds so unlike my usual self that I get disgusted and cancel the whole thing. And even now, I've taken it down, and put it back up, and changed it and messed with it and I start to think that maybe I shouldn't leave it up here for all my friends to read. . .like I have something to be ashamed of. And that's just wrong. I need to be able to tell this. The thing is. . .I can't sleep lately. And yeah, I could blame it on my funky work schedule (even though I've been on a crazy schedule for the past 4 years. . .), or loneliness (umm. . .doubtful. . .I love sleeping alone--or used to. . .) or all my injuries or too much coffee or dry air or noisy neighbors or insert other excuse here. But I know that none of those are the reasons why.
I've worked really, really hard to become the person that I am, and I've lost a lot along the way, but I'm generally happy and content, even if my life isn't so-called normal. I'm a very private person, I like being alone, and it takes a lot to get to know me. I don't let many people get close to me, and the people I've dated in the past would be hard pressed to tell you much about me, and honestly, I'm skittish about relationships. But. . .I like my life, and I love my home and my kids and my art and poetry and writing and plants and books.
A month ago, a traveler nurse I considered a friend developed traveling hands and a traveling tongue a couple of nights before transferring to his next assignment. He's married, and has a bunch of kids, and he trapped me in the stock room and seemed a little shocked when I shoved him away. And two nights later, on the last night he worked, at the end of my shift, when I told him that he creeped me out with the kissing and the groping, he apologized, asked if he could make it up to me, and tried to do the same thing again. Which is when I ran out the back door of the break room and called for the friend who was waiting outside. There is more to this story, of course--how this brought up feelings for me from an incident last summer; how I blew it off when I was telling friends about the nurse because I didn't want them to think I wasn't strong, or that I'd somehow asked for it; how afraid I was the full twelve hour shift I worked with him that last night, and how nothing got stocked in the ER because I didn't want to chance getting cornered again, all the things he said to me the first time in the stock room and then on the last night before I ran away.
You wouldn't think that one person could take away something so integral to who you are. But that's exactly what happened: someone took away a piece of the person that I am. It is amazing that something so simple can strip so much away from somebody-- although of course I've still got my self-respect, and my independence--I've worked too hard to let anyone take those away from me. But I can't sleep. And I haven't written or painted or read a book in the last two weeks. I stay awake and restless until my eyes can't stay open anymore and then I fall into bed.
We are all so very fragile, with so many walls we think are solid and indestructable. I've built a few myself, and maintained them carefully, not letting anyone get too close. I'm not sure what the lesson is in all of this, but I'm finding something cathartic in the telling of it. . .and I guess I'm realizing that right now, I could let this experience and the fear it caused close me off again, just when my heart is starting to open up for the first time in a long while. Or I can use that energy to tear down the remaining walls I have built around me. . .because as much as it hurts, I would rather feel too much than nothing at all.

2 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Don't let that animal violate you twice, Firefighter Girl.

Don't give him the power to take away your ability to trust.

Worthless bastard.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is wonderful. Keep it up.