nothing in this blog is true. . .but it's exactly how things are

which basically means that names, dates, locations, conditions, and everything else that might possibly lead to the discovery of someone's identity have been changed to protect the innocent, guilty, and terminally stupid.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

it's my magnetic personality

some of you may have heard about my previous experiences with certain monitoring equipment on the ambulance and in the ER. Well. RevMedic, you'll get a kick out of this. . .I can hear you laughing all the way down the I-5 corridor.

my new position is in the fast track section of Meth Central Med Center's ER. Better hours for a single mom (I get off work while it's still light outside!), plus I'm not tempted to do things that might get me in trouble, like

brief digression:

pushing D50 on a combative diabetic patient with a CBG of 33 who is brought in by medics after causing a rather large wreck on the freeway that sends 4 other people to the trauma center and the diabetic patient to our little ER with no IV, which I manage to get, and then without thinking, grab that big fat syringe sitting bedside on the tray, and when I'm halfway through the IV push realize that while I am certified by the state I live in to paralyze patients in the field I am not allowed to push farging sugar water in the ER. Whoopsie.

end of digression

anyway. ahem. So now I work three beds with one monitor to do intake and discharge vitals on 20-30 patients a shift. I am not rough on my equipment; I treat it with respect. I don't throw it around or stomp on it or dunk it in saline. Noooooo. However, the nurse I work with informed me tonight, after replacing the SPO2 sensor for the third time this week, that I was no longer allowed to touch the damn thing.

by the way- the Zoll is back. Took them 2 months to fix it.

3 comments:

RevMedic said...

2 months to fix it? Hah!

It only took them 2 days to fly the machine to Africa, find their witch doctor, and prepare him for the voodoo that he does so well.

The ceremony itself was over in 15 minutes.

It took Zoll another 7 weeks to recover from the ordeal.

Plus they had to replace the chicken.

kmsw said...

the bedside monitor has disappeared, now, too. Apparently, it's gone to Africa as well.

I don't condone animal cruelty. Was it a rubber chicken?

RevMedic said...

Sorry - here's the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX7dFYT7AE

Perhaps you should look into EMPA - Electromagnetic Pulses Anonymous...

"Hi, I'm Katy, and I destroy medical equipment just by stepping into the room"...