nothing in this blog is true. . .but it's exactly how things are

which basically means that names, dates, locations, conditions, and everything else that might possibly lead to the discovery of someone's identity have been changed to protect the innocent, guilty, and terminally stupid.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

pitchfork, trident

I have, on my left wrist, a tattoo. This tattoo happens to be from the poem "Spel Against Demons" by Gary Snyder. Perhaps my brothers (the firefighting ones, as I only have one actual male sibling) are somewhat ignorant because I've had this tattoo for ten years now, and frankly, the first time anyone ever really commented on it was when my training officer at the fire station informed me that it looked like two pitchforks f***ing. I have since been asked by at least two other firefighters just what the heck the pitchforks are doing on my wrist. So. A brief lesson in a) garden tools and b)anatomy and physiology. We'll save c) poetry for a completely different time.
A pitchfork, if I may be so bold as to state, generally has 4 tines, similar to (gasp) a fork. It is used for pitching hay, turning compost, and the like. A trident was Poseidon's scepter of choice; "tri-" meaning, of course, three, as it has three prongs.
As far as I am aware (although one never really knows what happens in the tool shed while everyone is sleeping), neither the trident nor the pitchfork have the sentience or the . . . uh. . . equipment to do the deed.
My tattoo, although not pitchfork or trident, most closely resembles the latter.
I hope this clears things up. For any of you still confused about the issue, I have pictures of both for comparison.

No comments: